By Sherea VéJauan
Do you have difficulties with New Year’s resolutions like the ones you just made? Are there some things about yourself you would like to change? How about your spiritual health?
One of the most common New Year’s resolutions for Christians is to attend church more often, serve regularly, and get more involved. Unfortunately, like most resolutions, these often fade and dwindle away within the first month due to a lack of strategic planning or putting in place a structure for success.
Planning to achieve is not difficult if there is a realistic approach taken. A key to success is to be sure to schedule your activities on your calendar. This will create a sense of commitment and allow a space for it. Let others know your goals and how you hope to reach them. Friends can inspire you.
You may already be attending service each Sunday, which you should be commended for. However, this can become routine and unchallenging. There are many ways to exercise your God-given abilities for growth that you can begin right away:
- Join a small group.
- Consider joining or starting a new ministry.
- Keep a calendar of all church events and make sure you attend at minimum – one per month.
- If you are already committed and involved in your church, invite your friends and family and use this opportunity to share God’s love with them.
- Consider bringing a few kids from your neighborhood to church with you; use this opportunity to mentor them while introducing them to God.
- Attend a mid-week service.
- Commit to participating in a short-term mission trip.
- Engage in local community outreach.
- Participate in a weekend event that involves ministry.
These activities can make an enormous impact on your spiritual health and others. They also can help improve your social life as you get to know other church members and their families.
If you are re-committing your life to Christ and don’t yet have a church home:
- Look for a list of churches in your area by visiting the Evangelical Covenant Church website, which lists where all of the congregations are located.
- When you do find a church, check their website and see what events interest you so you can get plugged in right away.
Editor’s note: Sherea VéJauan is the director of Children’s Ministries at Newsong Los Angeles Evangelical Covenant Church. Sherea is also the co-founder of the Goal Setter’s Club, a coaching organization that introduces the art of goal-setting to America’s youth and families. She can be contacted by email or visit her website.