Church Meets in the Dark Following Fire

meeting by candlelight
CLEAR LAKE, WA (April 4, 2016) — Community Covenant Church went ahead with their regular morning worship service on Sunday, even though a fire last Thursday left them without electricity or water, and with extensive smoke damage throughout much of the building.

The congregation met using candles and flashlights, said Don Robinson, Pacific Northwest Conference associate superintendent. The church bell pealed loudly so that all of Clear Lake would know the church was holding worship.

As part of the service, the congregation sang, “When we walk with the Lord, in the light of his word, what a glory he sheds on our way! While we do his good will, he abides with us still, and with all who will trust and obey.”

Nearby Covenant churches have offered their support as the church begins the process of cleaning up and repairs. The church is the center of activity in Clear Lake, and several school and community groups have also been displaced by the fire.

The electrical fire started in the women’s restroom around 6 a.m. Thursday. The fire was quickly extinguished by local firefighters but destroyed the restrooms and janitor’s closet.




    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *